*Discount valid on Monica + Andy apparel product, excludes all brand partner product. Nursery, Registry, gift cards, embroidery, virtual classes, and specialty items are not eligible. Cannot be combined with other offers or discounts. Other restrictions apply.
The 10 Most Important Questions to Ask on Your Daycare Tour
As a new or expecting parent, lining up amazing childcare can be the toughest nut to crack. You can’t call your pediatrician for the answer, Google it, or buy it on Amazon Prime (at least, for now). It takes legwork—and if you’re considering daycare, a fair amount of touring. Just like those college visits, you’ll get a gut feeling the minute you walk in the door, but it’s essential to come armed with the right questions.
“Treat your tour like an interview—don’t be scared to ask the tough questions. Make them sell you on their program. They’re going to be in charge of the most important thing to you in the world,” says Lauren Nordholm, Executive Director at The Goddard School. And while you can expect your tour guide to tell you about drop-off parking rules, sick policies, and whatever app or system they use for sending daily updates, you want to dig for the info that’s not in the school manual.
So here’s the winning tour formula: let your eyes guide you (how happy do the children and staff look? How clean are the floors?) and bring this cheat sheet with ten super important questions. You want to feel 100% comfortable with every single answer before getting on that waitlist, says Nordholm.
1. How does this school differ from local competition? (A great follow up question to this is: Where do children usually go to school after they graduate the program?)
2. What is your teacher retention like? (How often is there staff turnover? You want to get a sense for overall turnover, but most importantly within your child’s age group. Make sure to ask about both.)
3. What does a typical day look like for the children? Can they offer a sample curriculum? How else are the children stimulated throughout the day?
4. What kind of enrichment programs or extra classes are offered? (Think: languages, music, special interests, etc. And are those included in tuition or a separate fee?)
5. What kind of security does the building have? Is there always someone at the front watching the door—and is that door always locked? (Also, how does the school deal with a new person picking up your child? Do they require a photo ID?)
6. What’s the ratio of teacher to student in each age group, but most importantly within your classroom? And what’s the max number of infants or babies in each classroom?
7. What are your teacher qualifications? Are all teachers CPR and first aid certified?
8. What kinds of meals and snacks are served to the kiddos? Are they organic, and where is the food prepared?
9. Are the children taken off site? Is there outdoor play? And what kind of safety guidelines are in place to protect the kids?
10. What is parent involvement like? Are there school wide or classroom parties? Can parents drop in at any time for a visit?
Thinking about hiring a nanny? Check out 9 Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Nanny.