16 Things To Do Before Baby Comes
What To Do + Know Before Having a Baby
The urge to nest and check things off your to-do list is real. Especially, in those last few weeks before baby arrives. Following are a few top of mind to-dos for you to consider when you're in the final few week countdown.
- If you have other children, arrange for a friend or caretaker to spring into action when the time comes. Write out the instructions now, email it and post it on the fridge.
- Take a baby CPR class. (There are online and in-person options.) It will ease the anxiety of bringing home a newborn. Plus, it’s just the responsible thing to do.
- Get your car seat installed properly. The Car Seat Lady is your new BFF for this one.
- Draft the email. Enter the addresses of friends and family, so all you or your partner has to do is upload a precious photo and hit send.
- Queue up your Instacart with healthy, nourishing fare – feeding yourself becomes last priority and oddly challenging once you’re home with baby. If you’re nursing, stock up on snacks.
- Ask a good friend or housekeeper to tidy up before you come home from the hospital, accept that Instacart delivery, and maybe burn those maternity leggings you’ve been wearing nonstop.
- If you have a pet, arrange for a friend or dog sitter to be on call to feed and walk your pup while you’re at the hospital.
- Whip up meals (think lasagne, soups) and freeze them so you can arrive home to effortless, comforting dinners. Hack version: Post a list of your favorite dishes from your favorite takeout joints as a memory jog.
- Wash the baby’s clothes, crib sheets, swaddles, burp cloths, and blankets.
- Make a plan to connect with other moms in your area and join a local moms Facebook group. There’s a constant stream of Q&As, products for sale and a good site for scrolling during middle-of-the-night feeds
- Week one there will be a lot of picture-taking and no time for the salon. Visit your stylist for a cut/color and then bid him or her adieu for a bit.
- Get a bikini wax. Without going into too much detail, just trust us, you want things to be nice and neat down there.
- Choose a design and compile addresses to send baby announcements. Then all you have to do is print photos and slap a stamp on them. We like Sugar Paper, Luxe Paperie, Artifact Uprising, Pinhole Press, Tiny Prints, and Paperless Post.
- Sterilize a few (read: not 10) different newborn bottles. Babies can be finicky, and you don’t know which she might take to.
- Yes, it’s going to be awkward, but break out the breast pump for a test run. You want to know how to get hooked up and make sure you have all the necessary parts while your boobs aren’t exploding. If you get confused, Medela’s videos can help.
- Choose a pediatrician. Pro tip: You want one that’s close by, open on Saturdays, and communicates via email.